Sunday, November 1, 2015

Soundtrack To My Life.

Lately, I've been really listening to soundtrack music from movies, animes, video games, you name it.  I'm not really sure why I've gotten into them lately, but I have a few theories.
My first theory is mainly set on the topic of Halloween. Now, during the Halloween season, music is very limited. You mainly hear Micheal Jackson's Thriller, or a CD with thunder, witch cackling, and angry cat yowling. I however, associate a more realistic view of Halloween music, such as those in Tim Burton films. In collaboration with most of Tim Burton's films is Danny Elfman. Danny Elfman is now a well-known film soundtrack director. What caught my attention towards his music, is the Corpse Bride's soundtrack. The ability to create a light, melancholic yet sweet tune, really captured my attention. I enjoyed the way he used it throughout each song in the film. The theme song made me create a station on iTunes's radio, bringing forth more content such as music from Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland and Batman Begins, to other well-known film soundtrack directors.
 Another theory of mine centers around my roommate, because that is what roommates are for, right?
She, too, has been delving into film soundtracks. One time while driving she turned her stereo system on, which was in the middle of an instrumental piece, and looked over to me, asking, "Do you know what this is?" After a few hints such as "Is this a film sound track?" and "Is it something I've seen?" I strained my ear and picked my memory of the haughty tune. "Is this a song in the Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack?" Bingo.
We went on to discuss our preferences of different styles of Hans Zimmer, the composer of the Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack, and countless other film scores. During our conversation, an idea suddenly hit me. We could become as great as these composers.
Just think about it! Each well-known film soundtrack composer went through Music Theory, Aural Skills, and other music classes we are taking. These are just the basics of every well developed musician. In college, it is easy to lose sight of where you want to go, seeing a failed assignment here, and a poor grade there. I've talked to many other students who agree. It is helpful to take a step back and look at those who inspired you to do what you love. Thinking about this, and listening to the powerful theme of He's a Pirate the time, made me feel excited, driven even, a feeling I had lost throughout the course of school year. Losing a passion for something you love and want to do, even momentarily, feels awful. You ask God for a sign and question yourself about why you even want to continue in the course you're going. As a double major, this rings true. I've caught myself wondering which path I enjoy more; looking back, I see myself enjoying both. I can really thank Hans Zimmer for being my sign, and inspire me once again.
So why am I listening to so many soundtracks? I believe it is the aspiring musician in me coming through. I have so much respect for each song I listen to, and I can't wait to have that same respect towards the music I produce or perform.

No comments:

Post a Comment