Sunday, March 29, 2015

Amadeus

Last month was the busiest month I have had so far.
Production week. All I have to say around the music depart is those two words and you see grimaces, hear frightened gasps, and feel empathy seeping from everywhere. It sounds horrible, but the real reason is because everyone knows the lack of sleep, lack of free time, and worse, lack of homework time you have during the hours of 5-10pm for the entire week.
I should explain; the opera my university was in production for was Mozart's The Magic Flute.
However, I have been very grateful that, at semester, I was able to join one of the UMHB Opera classes. Since I joined at semester and parts were already cast, I was given the role of a chorus member. I am completely fine with that, because "There are no small parts, just small actors"-unknown.
Another reason why I enjoyed having a small part, is because I was able to watch how an Opera is pulled together from behind the scenes. I learned by watching my cast mates sing and act, learning what it takes to have a lead part.
I am blessed to have had production week take place. I was able to get to know my peers better, and build relationships. I can now say that every time I smell the scent of Pantene, I will always think of the dressing room I was in, soaking my hair with mousse, and having a fellow Mezzo roll my hair into a bun any ballerina would be jealous of. Not only that, but having a professional powder-room mirror was kind of exciting, and made the experience all the more real. I could look around and watch my fellow cast mates applying makeup to one another, watched the Queen of the Night get her hair done in an elaborate up 'do, and watched the princess get a weave sewn into her hair.
 Not only was I just a chorus girl, I was able to be assistance to the assistant director, powdering the extras' faces before going on stage, and corralling little kids on stage.
 I can say that I can not wait until my next opera! I am so excited  to be on stage again, and I look forward to the many memories to come!

2 comments:

  1. Nice post! Don't forget to post this to MyCourses before the deadline.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice use of the quote about no small parts, just small actors. It is great that you got so much out of your time in the Opera, especially in regards to watching your cast mates and learning what it takes to have a lead role. There is so much to be learned from watching other people in your field and it is wonderful to be able to appreciate every opportunity, big or small, as a blessing.

    ReplyDelete