Sunday, April 26, 2015

Back-to-back: The Met

Due to a very generous donation to the UMHB Opera/Musical Theater class, we were able to watch two live streamed performances from the Metropolitan Opera.
I have NEVER seen a big-time opera before (just ones from a community opera, like The Lady with the Straw Hat), let alone one from the Met. Don't ask why, because I'm not really sure myself.
But, I was able to view the well-rehearsed Cavalleria Rusticana and Pagliacci from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Let me tell you, I am ASTONISHED!
I am so impressed at the singers' performances. The tenor, Marcelo Alverez, had so much stamina that he was able to last TWO operas, one after the other. Not only did he have the stamina for two operas, but enough stamina to perform in a lead role for both!
By the end of Pagliacci, his voice didn't even waver from exhaustion.
When I started watching Cavalleria Rusticana I wasn't sure what exactly was going on.  In the beginning, Santuzza (Eva Maria Westbroek) is sitting in a chair off stage while people are sitting in a square on stage. I'm not sure if she is sitting off stage because she is shunned for being an outcast, or if it is a memory of hers.
But during the Opera, I really did not like the character of Turiddu, Santuzza's boyfriend/fiancé. In the story, he commits adultery while she begs for him to come back to her. While I understand that she loves him, she just needs to let him go. Usually in Operas, the sopranos always wins the man, when up against a mezzo.  While this is shining true in this story, Turiddu pushes her away, which by the fifth time he says to leave him, she should've just dropped him like a hot skillet. Yes, it will hurt, but that's the smart thing to do (In both situations)! In the end, though, after telling his mother what trouble he had started in a bar, he redeemed himself, showing that he still cared for Santuzza. But, even after showing that, I still believe he received his justice.

In Pagliacci, I LOVED the humor in it! It is about Canio and his wife Nedda (Patricia Racette), preforming shows like a circus would. If I ever performed in an opera, I would love to be in this one! Nedda's role looked like it would be a blast! Although Operas are usually something you would imagine as serious and visualize someone who is high-end and uppity to go to, this one really challenges the singing style of Opera, but performances like it would be a theater piece. Basically, it has so much satire in it, you forget you are watching an Opera.
I cannot wait for the Met's next season of shows. I truly hope I have the chance to see some more talent from such professional levels.


Here is a synopsis posted by the Met of what Cavalleria Rusticana and Pagliacci is about:

and here is the Metropolitan Opera's 2015-2016 season:

2 comments:

  1. As opera is one of the staples for music it is amazing to be able to see some of the greats. Also to be able to have such an opinion on these operas is an amazing thing. to know what it is about and to form the opinion about it is an amazing,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting! What is it, do you think, that's so compelling about opera to you? Why is this art form more interesting than reading a novel, watching a play, or hearing a collection of art songs?

    ReplyDelete