Tuesday, September 8, 2015

A sky full of harmony.

Before I started theory, I remember listening to the radio and trying to harmonize with the songs, only to find myself failing...horribly.
Now, I can't listen to a song and not analyze it through and through. It is a blessing and a curse.

Theory has actually helped me in other situations outside of the classroom...well, outside of the theory classroom that is. All I can say are a few words, and most musicians can relate: Aural skills and Dictations.

Before my "vast" knowledge of music theory, I struggled with dictation so much, I'd give myself headaches (I still struggle, but not as bad). Not until I learned a wonderful thing called the Chord Progression Chart. Once I learned which chords go to where, doing dictation homework became easier, almost to the point where I was able to predict which chord came next before the chord was even played.

Now, back to the radio. As I said before, I always failed trying to harmonize with whatever song was on, sounding similar to a tone deaf toad. Not pretty. I know it was just a third above what ever notes were being sung, I just couldn't find the notes. After theory, I was not only able to find the third, but also a perfect fifth, and all other notes that sound great with it. I've noticed that now, I am starting to pick up harmonization quickly, and my favorite song to harmonize to is Coldplay's "Sky full of Stars."

So, as much as I complain about music theory, (wait, I don't do that...pshhhh) I do find it helpful when I run into those situations. When I do, I feel the same satisfaction as when I use the math I learned in high school that, "I will never need to know in my life." So, Thanks, Dr. Albrecht. And as I bid you readers ado, I must go forth and use my theory skills with a transcription assignment.
Au revoir!

P.S. Here is the video to Coldplay's Sky Full of Stars.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Rachel! I think it is great how your transferred your theory knowledge of chord progressions to help you better harmonize with pop songs on the radio. I also struggle with Aural Skills dictations, but it most certainly helps to know chord progressions. Whenever I struggle with hearing a certain chord in a progression, I think about all of the possible choices(according to the chord flow chart) and it helps narrow down my answer. I look forward to reading your future posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's really cool, Rachel! I think it's neat to know that theory, which may just seem like another college class for music majors to take to some, was able to help you with harmonizing. I also like the Coldplay shout out. RESPECT! This was a really cool blog post to read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful post, Rachel. And wonderfully written! You truly have a gift with the written word. And it's fun to hear you use it to talk about the use of music theory!

    ReplyDelete